||Graduate Diploma in Professional education for university lecturers, VU University (exam 2009)
||Master of organisational and care sociology, University of Amsterdam (exam 1994)
||Diploma in Physiotherapy, Organisation for higher education (exam 1989, cum laude)
||Implementation and Effectiveness of Quality Systems in Dutch health care organisations. Faculty of medicine, VU University, Amsterdam
Current research appointments
Executive director at Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research (NIVEL), Utrecht. (2016 - present)
Professor of Patient Safety at VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam (2009 – present)
Head of the research department ‘Safety 4 Patients’ at EMGO+ Institute for Health and Care Research/VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam (2006 – present)
Programme manager of the research area 'Quality and Organisation of hospital- and long term care' at Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research (NIVEL), Utrecht. (1999 - 2015)
The research area focuses on 4 main aspects:
- research into the state-of-the-art of the implementation of quality systems among healthcare institutions and professionals,
- research into the implementation of quality and safety activities such as guidelines, break through projects or crew research management,
- research into the effects of quality systems on the care process, the opinions of patients and clinical results, and
- research into risk management and patient safety.
The research takes place in various health care fields, e.g. hospital, nursing homes, home health care organisations, organisations for the disabled and mental health care.
Senior lecturer in quality of care and patient safety, Department of Social Medicine, VU University medical center, Amsterdam (2006 – present)
- Member of the Board of Trustees of Spaarne Gasthuis (hospital), Haarlem (May 2010 – present)
- Member of the Board of the Dutch Society of Healthcare Governance, Utrecht ( June 2012 – present)
- Member of the Board of Trustees of NL Healthcare/NPM Capital, Amersfoort (January 2014 – present)
Various appointments over the last years for research projects and as an advisor for policy makers and professional groups. This comes from my large network and central position, combining scientific research and societal impact in the Netherlands.
- Member of the steering committee of the Academic Workplace Governance of the Healthcare Inspectorate (2011 – present)
- Chair of Committee of Experts (CCvD) of HKZ/NEN, focusing on accreditation schemes in healthcare.
- Member of the Quality consortium of the Dutch Federation of University medical centers (NFU)
- Member of the supervisory board (RvC) of Medirisk
Awards and Nominations
Nominated for Huibregtsenprijs 2012; the best research project: scientific innovative and impact on society. Title: Patient safety in Dutch hospitals.
Prior research positions
Programme Manager: National patient safety research program, Department of public and occupational health/VUmc en EMGO+ Institute (0,4 fte research; 2006 - 2009).
- Supervision of 12 researchers, PhD students and support staff,
- Writing new research proposals,
- Giving lectures for students in health system science and medicine.
Acting programme manager: research area 'Quality and organisation' at NIVEL. (1997-1998)
Researcher at NIVEL. (1994-1996)
Responsible for a large range of different research projects in different health care settings.
- Research into the development and implementation of quality management systems in health care institutions and health care professions.
- Research into various quality improvement activities in public health, societal care, nursing care, and acute care.
- Research into the Dutch health care financing system.
- Research into the care for chronically ill patients.
Researcher at department of public and occupational health, VU University of Amsterdam and EMGO Institute (1997/1998)
- Research in long term care and quality indicators
- Supervising students.
- Networking with sponsors
- Writing research proposals.
Junior researcher Stichting Wetenschap en Scholing Fysiotherapie (now Dutch institute for allied health care professions) in Amersfoort. (1990-19994)
- Research on the collaboration of general practitioners and physiotherapists, and the quality of care.
Prior experience in teaching
1990 Lecturer in physiotherapy, Wormerveer
Prior experience in patient care
1992 Working as a physiotherapist in various hospitals and healthcare institutions
1989-1990 Working as a physiotherapist in a nursing home, Wormerveer