Duration: 2018 - 2022
Comparing effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of self-management interventions in four high priority chronic diseases in Europe
Duration: 2018 - 2022
COMPAR-EU (2018-2021) aims to identify, compare and rank the most effective and cost-effective self-management interventions (SMIs) for adults in Europe with the four high-priority chronic diseases:
- type 2 diabetes
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- heart failure
COMPAR-EU will contribute to supporting tailored decisions on the adoption of the most suitable self-management interventions through an IT platform featuring decision-making tools adapted to the needs of a wide range of end users (policy makers, guideline developers, healthcare professionals, patients, and industry).
Project design and planning
The project consists of the following main steps:
- Network Meta-Analysis: the project will apply Network Meta-Analysis, an extension of traditional meta-analysis which allows multiple (rather than pair-wise) comparisons of intervention effectiveness. The work will be based on a validated taxonomy of self-management interventions and prioritise outcomes from the patient´s perspective. The cost-effectiveness will be estimated and the contextual factors associated with the self-management interventions implementation will be analysed.
- Desision-making tools: based on this analysis we will develop and pilot decision-making tools to facilitate and disseminate the most effective self-management interventions to key target end users.
- Strategy for exploitation research findings: a multiprong strategy for exploitation of the research findings will be developed, leading to clear business cases for self-management interventions implementation in different contexts in the heterogeneous EU health system contexts.
The research project addresses the need to provide additional evidence in a field that is crucially important for the management of chronic conditions.
At the same time, all our efforts are focused on the practical implementation of the research evidence supporting SMEs and other commercial partners, as well as governments, clinicians and managers in the diffusion of the innovations generated from this project, and supporting EU competitiveness in a globally emerging market.
You will find the (future) project deliverables of Nivel on the right, at Publications.
Nivel project team
Participating Nivel researchers in COMPAR-EU are:
- Prof. Jany Rademakers PhD, head of Nivel research department Perspective of patients and citizens on healthcare services
- Monique Heymans PhD, senior researcher Nivel
- Marieke van der Gaag MSc, researcher Nivel
This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 754936.
Want to know more?
For more information, you can read the short summary (pdf) of this project or visit the international website COMPAR-EU.eu. And please feel free to get in touch with (one of) the Nivel expert(s) involved. You will find them on the right, together with (future) Nivel deliverables (publications) and other relevant content.