Joint Action on CHROnic DISeases, initiated by the EU Second Health Programme: adressing chronic diseases and healthy ageing across the life cycle
Chronic diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and mental disorders, affects 8 out of 10 people aged over 65 in Europe. Approximately 70% to 80% of health care budgets across the EU are spent on treating chronic diseases. There is a wealth of knowledge within EU Member States on effective and efficient ways to prevent and manage diseases like cardiovascular disease and Type 2 Diabetes. There is great potential to reduce the burden of chronic disease by making better use of this knowledge. JA-CHRODIS has been designed to exploit this potential.
Nivel participated in the sixth Work Package (WP6) ‘Development of common guidance and methodologies for care pathways for multi-morbid patients’.
- Full title: Joint Action on CHROnic DISeases
- Deliverables: see publications on the right
- Funding: European Union, in the framework of the Health Programme (2014-2020)
- Project partners: 60 partners from countries all over Europe
- Nivel involvement: associated partner
- Nivel experts: Prof. Mieke Rijken PhD
- International project website: CHRODIS.eu
The aim of WP6 was to design and develop innovative, cost-efficient and patient-centred approaches for multimorbid patients with chronic conditions, including early diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care (with special attention to medication management, issues such as polypharmacy and adherence).
Work Package 6 comprises four tasks
Nivel participated inthe sixth Work Package (WP6) ‘Development of common guidance and methodologies for care pathways for multi-morbid patients'. This work package consisted of four tasks:
- Identify patient targets groups for interventions focusing on multimorbidity (case) management.
- Review existing care (pathway) approaches for multi-morbid patients.
- Assess and select good practices on the management of multi-morbid patients.
- Define criteria and conditions for the development of multimorbidity case management training programmes.
An overview of and support for the development of innovative, cost-efficient and patient-centred approaches for multimorbid patients, with special attention to medication management (to address polypharmacy and adherence).
JA-CHRODIS is a European collaboration that brings together over 60 associated and collaborating partners, from 26 countries. These partners work together to identify, validate, exchange and disseminate good practices on chronic diseases across Europe and to facilitate their uptake across local, regional and national borders. The focus is health promotion and primary prevention as well as the management of Type 2 Diabetes and patients with more than one chronic condition (multimorbidity).
One of the key deliverables is a ‘Platform for Knowledge Exchange’, which will include both an online help-desk for policy makers and a clearinghouse providing an up to date repository of best practices and the best knowledge on chronic care.
Video and international website
Take a look at the JA-CHRODIS promotional video.
Or visit the international website:
What can we do for you?
For more information about Nivel as a partner in healthcare services research, please feel free to contact our manager International Projects Inge van Houdt PhD. We are looking forward to getting in touch with you.