Cordula Wagner (PhD, physiotherapist, sociologist) is executive director of the Netherlands Institute of Health Services Research (NIVEL) in Utrecht and works as a professor of patient safety at VU University medical center in Amsterdam. She is also head of the patient safety research center ‘Safety 4 Patients’, a collaboration of EMGO+/VUmc and NIVEL.
For the last 20 years Cordula has been involved in a substantial number of projects focussing on a) the implementation of quality systems among healthcare institutions and professionals, b) the evaluation of national quality programs and more specific quality improvement activities such as guidelines, team-training and break through projects, c) the relation between quality systems, care process and clinical outcomes, and d) risk management and patient safety. The research takes place in various health care fields, e.g. hospitals, nursing homes, primary care and mental health care organisations. She has also participated in a number of European projects focussing on quality and patient safety.
The main interest of Cordula is the improvement of organisational structures and cultures to improve health care for patients. Therefore, it is important to find and evaluate valuable solutions improving healthcare for patients and supporting stakeholders engaged in healthcare. Based on scientific evidence, she strives for new knowledge and products supporting healthcare professionals and policy makers in their work, as well as monitoring day-to-day quality, safety risks and compliance to improve the sustainability of the healthcare system.
Various appointments over the last years for research projects and as an advisor for policy makers and professional groups. This comes from my large network and central position, combining scientific research and societal impact in the Netherlands.
- Member of the Health Council of the Netherlands
- Member of the steering committee of the Academic Workplace Governance of the Healthcare Inspectorate (2011 – present)
- Chair of Committee of Experts (CCvD) of HKZ/NEN, focusing on accreditation schemes in healthcare.
- Member of the Quality consortium of the Dutch Federation of University medical centers (NFU)
- Member editorial board of BMJ Quality & Safety
- 2008-2009: Graduate Diploma in Professional education for university lecturers, VU University (exam 2009)
- 1990-1994: Master of organisational and care sociology, University of Amsterdam (exam 1994)
- 1985-1989: Diploma in Physiotherapy, Organisation for higher education (exam 1989, cum laude)
- 1995-1999: Implementation and Effectiveness of Quality Systems in Dutch health care organisations. Faculty of medicine, VU University, Amsterdam
Current research appointments
- Executive director at Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research (NIVEL), Utrecht. (2016 - present)
- Professor of Patient Safety at VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam (2009 – present)
- Head of the research department ‘Safety 4 Patients’ at EMGO+ Institute for Health and Care Research/VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam (2006 – present)
- Programme manager of the research area 'Quality and Organisation of hospital- and long term care' at Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research (NIVEL), Utrecht. (1999 - 2015)
The research area focuses on 4 main aspects:
- research into the state-of-the-art of the implementation of quality systems among healthcare institutions and professionals,
- research into the implementation of quality and safety activities such as guidelines, break through projects or crew research management,
- research into the effects of quality systems on the care process, the opinions of patients and clinical results, and
- research into risk management and patient safety.
The research takes place in various health care fields, e.g. hospital, nursing homes, home health care organisations, organisations for the disabled and mental health care.
- Senior lecturer in quality of care and patient safety, Department of Social Medicine, VU University medical center, Amsterdam (2006 – present)
- Member of the supervisory board of Medirisk
- Member of the Board of Trustees of Spaarne Gasthuis (hospital), Haarlem (May 2010 – present)
- Member of the Board of the Dutch Society of Healthcare Governance, Utrecht ( June 2012 – present)
- Member of the Board of Trustees of NL Healthcare/NPM Capital, Amersfoort (January 2014 – present)
Awards and Nominations
- Nominated for Huibregtsenprijs 2012; the best research project: scientific innovative and impact on society. Title: Patient safety in Dutch hospitals.