Prof. Jany Rademakers is research department head and member of the management team of NIVEL, the Netherlands institute for Health Services Research. She is also professor Health literacy and patient participation at Maastricht University (CAPHRI). Her research focuses on diversity in health care, more specific on health literacy and patient activation, and in general on patient involvement and empowerment in health care. She is member of the steering committee and chair of the working group on patient experiences of the Dutch Alliance for Health literacy. She was also one of the founders of the Health literacy knowledge center of NIVEL and RIVM. Her current projects involve the translation and validation of questionnaires to measure health literacy and patient activation, and study the relevance of these concepts for health behavior and outcomes, self-management , intervention development and evaluation, and for the use and quality of health services in the Netherlands. Prof. Rademakers is also involved in research projects on patients’ needs and experiences with health care and the development and implementation of valid and reliable measurement instruments in this area.
- Member Advisory board Medicines Evaluation Board (MEB)
- Member Advisory board Trisearch project (Universität Köln, Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung, Germany)
- Member of the steering committee of the Dutch Health Literacy Alliance
- Member of advisory board Quality and Information of Achmea
- Member of the research school CaRe (member of the PhD education committee of CaRe)
- Member of advisory committee Psychosocial consequences of abortion (Utrecht University)
- Member of advisory committee health literacy of vulnerable polypharmacy patients, University of Groningen
- Member of the ZonMw projectgroup on low literacy and health (Radboud University)
- Member of the editorial Board of the Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Member of Vereniging Volksgezondheid en Wetenschap (Society for Public Health and Science)
- 2015 – now: Professor Maastricht University Health literacy and patient participation
- 2009 – now: Head of research department
- 2007- now: Programme coordinator NIVEL. Research programme: Demand-driven health care
- 2002 – 2007: Programme coordinator / consultant at the Department of Education of the University Medical Center (UMC) in Utrecht.
Research areas: determinants of study and career success of medical students, with a focus on gender differences.
- 1992 – 2002: Head of the research department ‘Sexuality across the life cycle’ at NISSO, later part of the Rutgers Nisso Group. Research areas: sexual development of children and adolescents, sexuality of the elderly, diversity in sexual and reproductive health. In 1999 Dr. Rademakers received the ‘Van Emde Boas-Van Ussel’-award of the Dutch Association for Sexology for her work in these areas.
- 1990 – 1992: Researcher at NISSO (Netherlands Institute of Social Sexological Research). Research areas: prevention of AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, prevention of unwanted pregnancy and abortion, sexual development.
- 1985 – 1990: Programme coordinator of Stimezo Nederland, association of abortion clinics. Research areas: determinants of unwanted pregnancy and abortion, quality of abortion care, national abortion registration.
- 2012 Baak strategy programme, de Baak Courses
- 2007 Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education, University of Dundee, Scotland.
- 1991 PhD-degree Utrecht University. Thesis: Prevention of unwanted pregnancy by adolescents in the Netherlands.
- 1985 Master Developmental and clinical psychology, Utrecht University
- 1978 Gymnasium, Norbertuscollege, Roosendaal.