Researcher 'The Global Epidemiology of RSV in Primary and Secondary Care (GERi)'
Nivel (Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research) is the national institute for health services research in the Netherlands. It is an independent organisation and its domain is applied and applicable health services research. Nivel has a dual mission: scientific and societal, and its research is ISO 9001 certified.
Nivel is looking for a Researcher (‘onderzoeker’) to start work on 1 April 2019 (or an earlier date).
The Researcher will be responsible for the collection of global surveillance data on the epidemiology of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) in year 1, and the preparation of two manuscripts (at least) to be submitted to an international peer reviewed scientific journal in year 2. The two manuscripts will present an overview of the global epidemiology of RSV, with a focus on differences in the epidemiology of RSV in primary (community) and secondary (hospital) care.
The GERi study uses an ecological study design based on epidemiological and virological surveillance data. The study assesses the disease burden of RSV by age group and is based on data from National Reference Centres since 2000. We will assess different age groups and the data will be split for primary and secondary care.
Our objective is to collect detailed data for 1-5 countries per WHO Region (i.e. a total of 20-30 countries) and we will use the experience and contacts from the Global Influenza B Study (see: www.nivel.eu/gibs) to implement the study. The Researcher will be supported by the researchers from the original GIBS team.
The Researcher will support other ongoing research projects at Nivel that focus on the epidemiology of RSV and influenza in Europe and the rest of the world.
What has to be done?
The research responsibilities will include:
- To help request data from countries;
- To collate data and manage the datasets (in collaboration with data managers at Nivel) that are submitted by countries;
- To provide feedback reports to the countries;
- To participate in telephone conferences with the sponsor every 2-4 weeks;
- To analyse the data;
- To prepare abstracts and participate in conferences;
- To prepare two scientific publications;
- To contribute to new grant applications.
What we ask:
- MSc or PhD in Epidemiology/Biostatistics or other related fields;
- Experience and expertise in the epidemiology of infectious diseases is very important (e.g. EPIET or EIS training);
- Knowledge of RSV and/or influenza is an advantage.
- Experience in project management;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- To be able to share responsibilities and the implementation of projects in a small team;
- Language skills: English (obligatory), Dutch (strongly preferred) and French would be an asset.
What we offer:
- A working contract for 18 months (with the option for a longer period);
- A contract of 24-32 hours per week;
- A monthly brute salary, depending on education and experience, between € 3.992,81 based on full -time (36 h per week);
- Participation in the Nivel pension fund;
- Participation in a collective public transport contract with a small own contribution;
- End of year payment is 5,9%.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Dr John Paget (tel. +31 30 2729801, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ).
How to apply:
You can send your application (before 10 February 2019) to the Nivel Personnel (Astrid Huijgen), PO Box 1568, 3500 BN UTRECHT, The Netherlands, or by email (email@example.com ) with reference “GERi”. Closing date for applications is 15 February 2019.
The vacancy is open to internal (Nivel) and external applicants. The internal procedure must be completed first before external candidates can be invited for this position.