ICARE4EU: Innovating care for people with multiple chronic conditions in Europe, 2013-2016
Duration: Mar 2013 - Jun 2016
A growing part of European citizens suffer from more than one chronic illness (‘multimorbidity’). For these people a disease-specific disease management approach is suboptimal. Therefore, European countries want to know more about innovative approaches of multimorbidity management. Integrated care addressing both health and social needs of people with multimorbidity seems to be most appropriate.
This project aims to contribute to the innovation of care for European citizens with multiple chronic conditions by increasing and disseminating knowledge of potentially effective and efficient models of integrated care for people with multiple chronic conditions that are developed and implemented in (parts of) European countries.
- describe the state of the art in 30 European countries
- evaluate current integrated care programmes for people with multimorbidity
- identify best practices from different perspectives (patientcentredness, e-health technology, professional involvement and organization, financing system)
- generate knowledge about conditions for successful management and implementation of integrated care programmes
- design a template for future monitoring of the developments in multimorbidity chronic illness care
- disseminate its findings throughout Europe