Nivel is an independent research institute which positions itself on the crossroads between the scientific community, policymakers and the healthcare field (providers, insurance companies and patient organisations). Our motto is ‘Bringing worlds together’.
Nivel in two minutes
As the video shows, Nivel is active in the multidisciplinary field of scientific research on how health care is affected by: social factors, financing systems, organisational processes, health technology and personal behaviours. This research includes the examination of the quality and costs of health care and health and well-being in general.
Nivel as a partner in international research
Nivel is the only institute in the European region that is active in primary healthcare research. Interested in doing international research together with Nivel? Please contact us, we are looking forward to get in touch with you!
- Our manager International Projects Inge van Houdt will tell you more about out ongoing international projects and about the options of cooperating with Nivel as partner in healthcare services research: [E] firstname.lastname@example.org [T]+31 30 2729 665
- Our experts on the specific fields of healthcare research will tell you more about their field of expertise and about doing research with Nivel within this field. Take a look at their individual research programs!
About Nivel institute en Nivel research in general:
Nivel Institute, Utrecht, the Netherlands
The Nivel Institute is located in Utrecht, a city in the middle of the country. There are approximately 160 employees, of whom 100 are scientific staff, 40 perform functions related to research and 20 perform administrative functions. Starting in 1965 as the scientific institute of the Dutch College of General Practitioners, Nivel's domain has expanded gradually to primary care, secondary care and hospital care. Nowadays, Nivel's research covers the entire 'somatic' health care. Read more at Short history of Nivel.
Research for better care: our mission and core values
Nivel’s mission is Research for better care. Our mission statement indicates how we forfill this mission:
We carry out high quality health services research in the broadest sense, which has a demonstrable impact upon society.
From out this mission we defined our core values:
- scientific quality and societal relevance
- applied and applicable
At Mission and values we explain and make concrete how we carry out this mission and its related core values .
Health services research in the broadest sense: our experts and our expertise
Our healthcare services research is organised in a total of thirteen specific research programs covering the specific fields of expertise in healthcare research. Each research progam has its own research team, lead by a coordinator research program, who is one of our experts: usually a professor with extensive research experience in the field concerned. Through interacting and collaborating the different teams can answer more complex societal questions and challenges.
Some of our research projects
- Evaluation studies of the efficacy of innovations in healthcare, policy measures and health law
- Scenario studies to predict developments in the need for healthcare or the supply of health care
- International comparative studies regarding healthcare systems
- Answering specific questions by using Nivel's knowledge base, e.g. evidence on the effectiveness of policy measures
- Studies into treatment adherence
- Studies into antimicrobial resistance
- Studies into prescription behaviour of GPs
Nivel is a foundation. It has a Supervisory Board to supervise the way Nivel is lead. Nivel's internal organisational structure includes:
- Management Board, consisting the exective director, the executive secretariat and the staff.
- Three research departments: (1) Healthcare from the perspective of patients, clients ans citizens; (2) Primary Care; (3) Organisation and Management in Healthcare, each with a number of research programs and several facilitating units.
- General Affairs, containing several operational units such as Administration, IT, HRM and Corporate Affairs.
Go to Organistion structure for our organizational chart and a complete description of the individual units.
The formal structure of Nivel is a not-for-profit foundation. Our funding is based on several funding streams. We receive a longterm grant from the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport for our specific databases and panels and for our monitoring research infrastructure. Furthermore we receive external project grants from a wide variety of national and international funding organisations.
For more information about Nivel, please feel free to contact one of the contct on the right. We are looking forward to get in touch with you!