The foundation 'Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research' (Nivel), is an independent research institute. It has a Supervisory Board. Nivel's internal organisation structure includes management and staff. Take a look at our organisational chart and learn more about the interacting units of Nivel.
At Nivel there are about a hundred scientists involved in conducting research in all kinds of aspects of Dutch healthcare. In addition, there are about sixty professionals working in research-related and supporting functions. Take a look at our organisational chart and see how Nivel is organised.
Nivel is a foundation. It consists of several units:
- a Supervisory Board (dark grey), supervising the way Nivel is lead
- a Management Board (light grey), consisting the exective director, the executive secretariat and the permanent staff
- three Research Units (dark green), each with a number of Research Programs (light green) and several Research Support Units (pink).
- General Affairs (dark blue), containing several Operational Units (light blue).
About Nivel’s organisational units:
Board of Governors
The external Board of Governors (dark grey) supervises the way in which Nivel's Management Board (light grey) runs the institute. The board consist of five members:
Board of Governors:
||Advisor ZonMw, national funding organisation for healthcare research, The Netherlands|
||Chairman DIVOSA, an association for municipal executives in the social domain, The Netherlands|
||Professor 'Sociology of Households and Employment Relations', Utrecht University, The Netherlands|
||Board Member of the Academic Medical Center Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
||Professor 'Internal medicine, specialized in Geriatric Medicine’, University of Groningen, The Netherlands|
Nivel’s Management Board consists of an executive director (light grey) and two deputy directors. Together with the heads of the three Research Units (dark green) they form the Management Board.
Executive Director, Deputy Directors and Heads of Research
|Prof. C. (Cordula) Wagner PhD
Executive director, project coordinator Patient Safety
|Prof. R.D. (Roland) Friele PhD
Deputy director, Head of research unit Organisation and Management in Healthcare
|W. (Wouter) de Kruijff MSc
Deputy director, Head of General Affairs
|G.J. (Jeroen) Hasselaar PhD
Head of research unit Primary Care
|Prof. J.J.D.J.M. (Jany) Rademakers PhD
Head of research unit Healthcare from the Perspective of Patients, Clients and Citizens; project coordinator Health Literacy and Patiënt Participation
Nivel's permanent (scientific) staff consists of all members of the Managing Board (light grey and dark green) and all program coordinators (light green) of our various scientific research programs (in alfabetical order):
In Nivel’s three research units (dark green) a total of twelve research programs are running continuously (light green). In each of these programs there is a heterogeneous team of scientist conducting research, each team in their specific field of competence:
- In each research team there is a core of senior researchers who can be widely deployed, and a group of (mostly younger) researchers and PhD students who carry out concrete research projects.
- Each research team is headed by a program coordinator of one of our research programs (see ‘permanent staff’ above).
- Various scientific researchers of Nivel, experts in their field of research, also hold a chair as professor at one (or more) of the Dutch and/or foreign universities. As a result, we are in close contact with science and we can play a significant role between science, policy and practice.
Research support units
At Nivel there are working a lot professionals making engaged in facilitating researchers to do their research in an efficient and scientific way (pink), in the follong units:
- The Cluster Panel and Survey Research and the Cluster Routine Data facilitate the data information from our panels and registrations. They make sure the data are safe, up-to-date and reliable.
- The Nivel Research Communication Center supports the Nivel researchers in communicating about there research in a clear and (more) attractive way and in disseminating research results in the broadest sense (publications, website and more). Furthermore, by developing and maintaining Nivel's corporate identity, they are focussed on presenting Nivel as a self-aware research institute with a national and international ambition.
- Nivel's Secretariats deliver all kinds of secretarial support to the research units.
General Affairs and its Operational units
To ensure that the profesional organisation of Nivel runs smoothly, within General Affairs (dark blue) a number of Nivel-professionals is working in several Operational Units (light blue), such as:
- various Administrative Units
- Human Resource Management
- Facility Affairs
The head of General Affairs is also engaged in managing the institute, in the role of adjunct director (see 'Management Board' above).
Want to know more? Contact us
For more information about Nivel, please feel free to contact us:
- Our head of research Roland Friele will tell you more about Nivel as national scientific research institute.
- Our head of research unit Primary Care and Support International Research Jeroen Hasselaar will tell you more about out ongoing international projects and about cooperating with Nivel as partner in health services research.
- Our experts on the specific fields of healthcare research will tell you more about their field of expertise and about doing research with Nivel within this field. Take a look at their individual research programs!
We look forward to getting in touch with you.