We present our research projects and publications on COVID-19, which are relevant in the international setting of healthcare research.
In the video Roland Friele, adjunct director of Nivel, outlines the focus of Nivel on the topic of COVID-19. In short: until March 2021 we mainly monitored the SARS-CoV-2 and it’s direct consequences on individuals as well as society. From March 2021 onwards, we focussed in particular on the long(er) term consequences of COVID-19, both physical and psychosocial. We present to you our research mainly on this second subject.
Nivel's current international research on COVID-19
Influenza: MOnitoring Vaccine effectiveness in Europe-COVID-19
In working together in the I-MOVE COVID-19 consortium, established in 2020, many partners of the I-MOVE network (existing since 2007) obtain epidemiological, clinical and virological information on COVID-19 and patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 in a high quality, efficient and rapid way.
- Nivel experts: Joke Korevaar, PhD; Mariëtte Hooiveld, PhD
- Nivel project site: Project I-MOVE COVID-19
- Project website international: I-MOVE-COVID-19.eu
- Funding: European Commission
- Project partners: 23 partners from 11 European countries
- Nivel involvement: project partner
Long-COVID: gaining insights into the long-term complaints after COVID-19
In order to minimize the negative consequences for patients who suffered from COVID-19, also in the long term, it’s essential to gain insights into these consequences. For our reseach on Long-COVID We conduct a large-scale research, using various research methods and various healthcare data derived from different resources: a mixed methods approach.
- Nivel expert: Prof. Robert Verheij, PhD
- Nivel project site: Project Long-COVID
- Funding: ZonMw
- Project partners: UMCG (University of Groningen), Radboudumc (University of Nijmegen), Maastricht UMC (University of Maastricht) and DHD (foundation Dutch Hospital Data)
- Nivel involvement: project partner
Understanding and communicating the impact of COVID-19 on influenza
In our FluCov project we document and communicate about the impact of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic on influenza activity and the measures to prevent and control influenza in the coming years (e.g. by vaccination).
- Nivel expert: John Paget, PhD
- Nivel project site: Project FluCov
- Project website international: -
- Funding: Sanofi Pasteur
- Project partners: Sanofi Pasteur
- Nivel involvement: project leader
Epidemiology of COVID-19 in Europe
We cover the issue of COVID-19 mortality, the link between influenza vaccination and COVID-19 and the serological testing for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies.
- Publications COVID-19 - Mortality
- 2021 | Monitoring the mortality impact of COVID-19 in Europe: What can be learned from 2009 influenza H1N1p mortality studies? Staadegaard, L., Taylor, R.J., Spreeuwenberg, P., Caini, S., Simonsen, L., Paget, J. International Journal of Infectious Diseases: 2021, 102, 115-117
- Publications COVID-19 - Effects of the influenza vaccination on COVID-19
- 2020 | The impact of influenza vaccination on the COVID-19 pandemic? Evidence and lessons for public health policies. Paget, J., Caini, S., Cowling, B., Esposito, S., Falsey, A.R., Gentile, A., Kyncl, J., MacIntyre, C., Pitman, R., Lina, B. Vaccine: 2020, 38(42), 6485-6486
- 2020 | The Association between Influenza Vaccination and the Risk of SARS-CoV-2 Infection, Severe Illness, and Death: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Del Riccio, M., Lorini, C., Bonaccorsi, G., Paget, J., Caini, S. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health: 2020, 17(21), 7870
- Publications COVID-19 - Serological testing
- 2020 | Meta-analysis of diagnostic performance of serological tests for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies up to 25 April 2020 and public health implications. Caini, S., Bellerba, F., Corso, F., Díaz-Basabe, A., Natoli, G., Paget, J., Facciotti, F., De Angelis, S.P., Raimondi, S., Palli, D., Mazzarella, L., Pelicci, P.G., Vineis, P., Gandini, S. Eurosurveillance: 2020, 25(23), 5 p.